Thursday, January 10, 2019

New Year, Kinda Same Me

It almost feels like yesterday was New Year's Eve 2009. So much has happened in this decade. This year can make a critical difference for the better, if we all do our part (even small) in doing good.
At work, I've heard people saying they gave up on resolutions and goals to stick with survival. Somehow, this sounds simplistic. Almost borderline apathetic, like asking "What's the point of bettering myself if I will fail myself again?"
Speaking of bettering one's self, I noticed a new viral Facebook challenge, comparing one's first profile picture and latest picture, seeing how "hard" aging has hit one's self. I would do this, but after restarting my account in June, I don't have many pictures to judge by. All I can say is my looks have not substantially changed since high school. Graying sideburns, laugh lines, and a receding hairline later, I still look the same to those I graduated with back in 2006.
Yet I do plan on bettering myself. Got a plan to get a car, to write down the foundation for a science fiction story, get the courage to ask a friend for (at the very least) a coffee date, those are just the start.
Nationally, we all need to seek improvement, but if we're honest with ourselves, it doesn't look like we're doing a good job of it. Last year started with a controversial challenge involving Tide pods. This year has started with people driving blindfolded due to that Netflix movie Bird Box. It's bad when Netflix urges people not to do it, starting off with "I can't believe I have to say this," trust me, Netflix, I wish it were unnecessary. However, we're presenting more and more anarchistic behavior week after week.
This year has the potential to be the best yet, or most morally challenging and nationally breaking if we're not careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment