Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Holy Horror

Well, it's that time of the year again. One of three, actually. The three big holidays of the year that either gets Christians attacked by skeptics saying we ripped off pagan mythologies, or we attack because we think it's too dark. Without trying to sound like a badly written American movie, you know which one I'm talking about.
For the past five years, I have talked to people about "Christian horror" and how that is purely Biblical. To this day, very few even know the term, most holding on to some kind of superstitious fear that any kind of horror is strictly demonic. I have told people that if we Christians are to abstain from any single thing that has the appearance of evil, then I may as well not even read the Bible for all the creepy and terrifying stories in it. From supernatural horror to home invasion, from psychological horror to torture, there's really very little in terms of horror subgenres the Bible doesn't cover. One of which we celebrate every Easter/Resurrection Sunday.
As of last year, I have decided on a new personal tradition for October: to just read horror stories. Currently working on King's Joyland and Pawlish's Nephilim: Genesis of Evil. Both are pretty good to me, and I do have a few others to get through (including a reread of King's 'Salem's Lot, breaking my own rule of not rereading stories). This should be a nice month for a terror addict like myself.
Speaking of which, I considered making another blog strictly for Christian horror reviews, "Gothic Reverence," what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment