Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Time to stop playing it safe

For several years, I've been noticing how my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ are becoming more and more timid, using Scripture to justify why they don't stand up to their persecutors- oh, wait. That's American Christians. And if anything, I've seen, since '07, that we constantly misuse Scripture, not getting the whole context, we do what I call "surface reading", something that even Jesus calls out. He calls out the scribes and Pharisees, saying "Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you know the word, yet you don't know what it means." So much for just a recent issue.
One of my biggest influences to be the way I am is a quote from one my favorite comedian/actors, Jim Carrey: "The problem with this world is that there is no danger music." Principally speaking, I believe that should mean we shouldn't be afraid to stand up for our beliefs, regardless of consequences. For a minor example, due to how my life played out, I have no problem being a Christian Goth, yet my mother cannot fully accept it because she doesn't approve the Gothic lifestyle (she stereotypes it as too dark for her, "I wasn't raised to be like that." I wasn't raised to be Gothic, but still...).
There can also be plenty of major examples, but all-in-all, I'd rather you think about it, Dear Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment